A water journey unlike any other. A journey that splits in two only to reunite after a while and continue on its way to the largest lake in Greece. A split that creates one of the most magical landscapes in Greece.
The twin waterfalls of Mokistianos are located in a hilly landscape near the small town of Thermos and about 40 minutes from Agrinio. The water starts its course from the springs of Agia Sophia in the village of the same name to be poured after some kilometres into Lake Trichonida. The twin waterfalls of Mokistianos are located about halfway along the course in a steep and forested landscape.
How to reach the twin Mokistianos waterfalls
There are different ways to approach the point.
If you do not have an off-road vehicle:
You can park your car at the beginning of the dirt road after the village of Myrtia and then walk along the first path shown below. Overall the path is well-marked and the walk is quite easy. The village of Myrtia is about 40 minutes from Agrinio and 15 minutes from Thermo.
The first trail to the twin waterfalls of Mokistianos:
If you have an off-road vehicle:
You can get fairly close to the place via a dirt road and walk only the last part of the trail. You will first have to reach the village of Agia Sofia, which is 45 minutes from Agrinio. From there, driving on the National Road of Agrinio-Thermos and heading towards Thermos you should take the road on your right, which is marked with signs. The route on the dirt road as well as the final path you will have to walk is shown on the map below.
The second trail to the twin waterfalls of Mokistianos:
Best time of year to visit the twin waterfalls of Mokistianos.
The area is magnificent all year round but we recommend visiting it in early summer when the temperature is suitable for swimming and the river still has enough water so that you can admire the landscape to its full extent.
- The last part of the route, on which you will have to walk, is quite steep. Make sure to visit the place with hiking shoes. Also, make sure to climb it slowly as the slope will get you exhausted.
- If you plan to dive into the water of the waterfall. Be sure to take another shoe with you to avoid rock injuries.
- Due to the difference in elevation, your way back will take longer than arriving at the site. Make sure you have plenty of time before nightfall.
- Check the weather before visiting the place.
- When you leave, make sure you have collected all your rubbish.